- Released: November 13, 1995
- Originally Released: 1991
- Label: MCA Special Products
- 1.Everybody Wants To Go To Heaven
- 2.Where No One Stands Alone
- 3.When They Ring Those Golden Bells
- 4.(There'll Be) Peace In The Valley
- 5.If I Could Hear My Mother Pray Again
- 6.The Third Man
- 7.How Great Thou Art
- 8.Old Camp Meetin' Time
- 9.When I Hear My Children Pray
- 10.In The Sweet Bye And Bye
- 11.Where I Learned To Pray
- 12.I'd Rather Have Jesus
Includes liner notes by Mae Boren Axton.
Originally released on Decca (4695).
Originally released on King Records in 1965, HYMNS is a simple, straightforward collection of 12 Christian songs, from the traditional "If I Could Hear My Mother Pray Again," "In the Sweet Bye and Bye," "Old Camp Meetin' Time," "When They Ring Those Golden Bells" and "I'd Rather Have Jesus" to two Lynn originals, "Everybody Wants to Go to Heaven" and "Where I Learned to Pray." Lynn's beautiful voice is at its best, and the arrangements are kept traditional, with none of the "countrypolitan" sound that was fashionable in Nashville in the mid-'60s. Framed by simple piano, guitar, fiddles, and upright bass, the four songs on which Lynn is accompanied by a choir sound homespun and comfortable. In this setting, not even Lynn's duet with her young son Ernest Ray Lynn sounds treacly. HYMNS is of interest to all fans of pure country, regardless of religious persuasion.