The Penalty (Silent)
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$15.20 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$4.75 (24% Off)|
- Color Tinted
- Video Tour of Chaney's Actual Makeup Case and the "Double Amputee" Costume Worn in the Film
- Surviving Footage of Chaney's The Miracle Man
- Chaney's 1914 One-Reel Western By the Sun's Rays
- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 33 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: October 9, 2001
- Originally Released: 1920
- Label: Kino Video
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Mono - English
- Additional Release Material:
- Behind the Scenes
- Shorts: "By the Sun's Rays" (1914)
- Interactive Features:
- Scene Access
- Interactive Menus
- Text/Photo Galleries:
- Lon Chaney's Makeup Case
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Performer:||Ethel Grey Terry, Charles Clary, Claire Adams, Kenneth Harlan, James Mason, Edouard Trebaol, Milton Ross, Wilson Hummel & J. Montgomery Carlyle|
|Directed by||Wallace Worsley|
"[T]his is one of Chaney's most impressively committed early performances."
Description by OLDIES.com:
When an incompetent doctor amputates the legs of a young boy, he has no idea that the youth will grow up to be the immoral and embittered Blizzard, a criminal mastermind who orchestrates a bizarre and heinous plot to avenge himself upon his malefactor. The Penalty teems with irony and sexual menace as Blizzard befriends the surgeon's daughter and serves as an artist's model for her sculptural rendition of Satan, waiting for his moment to show the depth of his demonic desires.
In playing the devious Blizzard, Chaney tightly harnessed his legs within a pair of leather stumps, flawlessly rendering the physical disfigurement that so profoundly echoes the misshapen mind that drives this sadistic character toward his violent destiny. As Chaney biographer Michael Blake says, "One has to wonder if the intensity Lon brought to this role might have been due in part to the pain produced by his harness."
This special Kino on Video edition is loaded with supplemental features which better one's understanding of The Penalty, Lon Chaney and the great lengths to which he went to craft such a feverishly villainous performance.
- A silent film.
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 21 ratings.
I can't say enough good about this DVD. The film quality is excellent; Lon's performance is beyond compare; I can't imagine an actor of today being equal to the top-notch performance given here. Imagine going through days of walking about on your knees with your legs doubled behind you. Talk about suffering for your art!The DVD is enhanced with special features, especially a look @ Lon's makeup case and other extras. This DVD belongs in every film afficianado's collection!
I have a collection of silent movies. Quite a few of them are listed at the Oldies website. While I have been impressed with many performances by other silent stars, no performance outshines Lon Chaney's in this movie as a double amputee and evil mastermind (not even his own as Erik in "Phantom of the Opera", another breath-taking performance). There is never a time when you doubt that he is twisted, physically and mentally. No special effects: his legs were bent and twisted behind him. It hurts just to think about it. I give them a thumbs up for making so many great films available to us at affordable prices, especially this version of "The Penalty."
Top ranking DVD:
- Sons of Kong: 10 Full-Length Movies on 3-DVDs (3D Pop-Up Case) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- The Golden Age of Cartoons: Attack of the 30's Characters - Cartoon Classics from All Eight Major American Animation Studios (DVD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- 3 Pack Westerns: The Way West / Escort West / Chato's Land (DVD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Burt Reynolds Comedy Triple Feature: Gator / Breaking In / Fuzz (2-DVD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- 3 Pack Action: The Delta Force / Delta Force 2 / Code of Silence (DVD) ~ $2.98 on SALE