Beyond The Blue Neon
Rare & Hard-To-Find Audio CDs (series)
|You Save:||$2 (29% Off)|
Currently Out of Stock: We'll get more as soon as possible
sku: ZZZLM 22266
- Released: February 25, 2003
- Originally Released: 1989
- Label: MCA Special Products
- $0.99 on iTunes1.Beyond The Blue Neon
- $0.99 on iTunes2.Hollywood Squares
- $0.99 on iTunes3.Overnight Success
- $1.29 on iTunes4.Ace In The Hole
- $0.99 on iTunes5.Leavin's Been Comin' (For A Long, Long Time)
- $1.29 on iTunes6.Baby's Gotten Good At Goodbye
- $1.29 on iTunes7.What's Going On In Your World
- $0.99 on iTunes8.Angel, Angelina
- $0.99 on iTunes9.Too Much Of Too Little
- $0.99 on iTunes10.Oh Me, Oh My Sweet Baby
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel: George Strait (vocals, guitar); Steve Gibson (acoustic & electric guitars); Reggie Young (electric guitar); Paul Franklin (steel guitar); Johnny Gimble (fiddle); Steve Marsh (saxophone); Floyd Domino (piano); David Hungate (bass); Eddie Bayers (drums); Curtis "Mr. Harmony" Young, Liana "Mrs. Harmony" Young (background vocals).
All tracks have been digitally remastered.
Personnel: George Strait (vocals); Steve Gibson (acoustic guitar, electric guitar); Reggie Young (electric guitar); Paul Franklin (steel guitar); Johnny Gimble (fiddle); Steve Marsh (saxophone); Floyd Domino (piano); Eddie Bayers (drums); Curtis Young, Liana Young (background vocals).
Audio Mixer: John Guess.
Recording information: Emerald Studio; SoundStage Studios.
Photographer: Steven Pumphrey.
It could easily be argued that George Strait never made a bad album and they were all hits, but even among that remarkably consistent catalog, 1989's Beyond the Blue Neon stands apart from the pack, with half of its ten tracks reaching the country charts. Three of these topped the charts -- "Baby's Gotten Good at Goodbye," "What's Going on in Your World," and "Ace in the Hole" -- with "Overnight Success" peaking at eight and "Hollywood Squares," a novelty so sly and understated that it never cracks a smile, scraping the bottom reaches of the charts. An easy nature is one of Strait's signatures -- he never makes anything look difficult -- and he's never made music that seems as easy as this. That casual virtuosity can disguise just how virtuosic this album is. Strait hits the same touchstones as always -- Western swing, barroom ballads, honky tonk shuffles, laments, and two-steps -- but what's missing is that slight coat of gloss that always distinguished his singles on the albums after he turned into a superstar. Instead, this is all pure country -- lean and clean, punchy enough to be modern but never making concessions to the radio, without being slavishly faithful to the past -- and that vibe alone is enough to make this different. But what makes Beyond the Blue Neon exceptional, one of his very best records, is that every one of the ten songs is irresistible, whether galloping along like "Angel, Angelina" and "Oh Me, Oh My Sweet Baby" or wallowing in its misery like "Too Much of Too Little." This diversity makes Beyond the Blue Neon a classic barroom album, playing equally well as party music or music to drown your sorrows. In a career filled with good music, this is one of the truly essential records. ~ Stephen Thomas Erlewine
20th Century Masters - The Millennium Collection: The Best... (CD)
$3.85 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 21 ratings.
Based on 21 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Camp Meeting / Soul of The Gospel Harmonettes (CD) TOP 100 Bestseller
$1.98 on SALE
Chet Atkins And His Guitar / The Guitar Genius (CD)
$1.98 on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists WDAS 105.3FM - Classic Soul Hits, Volume 1 (2-CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Absolute Hits - Top Hits of the 60s: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists WDAS 105.3FM - Classic Soul Hits, Volume 4 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- The Kac-Ties The Very Best of The Kac-Ties (CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- The Pentagons Golden Classics (CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE