Berlin Pleasure Victim
|You Save:||$1.01 (14% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by Berlin ~ The Best of 20th Century Masters / Millennium Collection ~ $8.34
- by Missing Persons ~ The Best of Missing Persons ~ $8.34
Products with a similar style:
- Released: October 21, 1997
- Originally Released: 1983
- Label: Geffen Gold Line Sp.
CMJ - 1/5/04, p.12Ranked #6 in CMJ's "Top 20 Most-Played Albums of 1983".
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Berlin: David Diamond (vocals, guitar, synthesizer); John Crawford (vocals, synthesizer, bass); Terri Nunn (vocals).
Additional personnel: Chris Ruiz-Velasco, Ric Olsen (guitar); Daniel Van Patten (drums, electronic percussion); Rod Learned (drums).
Personnel: David Diamond (vocals, guitar, synthesizer); John Crawford (vocals, synthesizer); Terri Nunn (vocals); Rick Olsen, Chris Ruiz-Velasco (guitar); Daniel VanPatten (drums, percussion, electronic percussion); Rod Learned (drums).
Audio Remixer: Maomen.
Recording information: 1982.
Photographer: Martin Mann.
Originally released by the fledgling Enigma Records in 1982 and picked up by Geffen in early 1983 when the lascivious novelty single "Sex (I'm A...)" started picking up radio attention, Pleasure Victim is a frankly exploitative little slab of synth pop cynicism, so baldly crass in its positioning of lead singer Terri Nunn as a sex kitten (posing her in the nude on the inner sleeve, listing her contributions as "vocals, bj's" in the liner notes) and lyrically obsessed with the seedy side of the Los Angeles demimonde that criticism becomes nearly beside the point. Lyrical obsessions aside, Pleasure Victim actually holds up quite well as a piece of early-'80s synth pop, with two very good tunes ("Tell Me Why" and "Masquerade") and one masterpiece of the genre, the gimmicky and atmospheric "The Metro," the one song where Nunn's limited vocal abilities are put to their best use. The other three songs (not to mention the tiresome eight-minute remix of "Sex" on the cassette and CD versions) are much weaker, but surprisingly, for a record that was completely unfashionable seemingly within months of its initial release, Pleasure Victim actually has more to offer than many might remember. ~ Stewart Mason
The Best of 20th Century Masters / Millennium Collection (CD)
$8.34 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 34 ratings.
Based on 34 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Hunting High and Low [Bonus CD] [Bonus Tracks] (2-CD)
$22.74 Super Savings
Top ranking titles in the Pop / Rock genre:
- Various Artists History of Rock (10-CD Set) ~ $19.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists KFRC 99.7FM - Motown, Soul & Rock 'N Roll: Rock 'N Roll (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Yes Acoustic: Guaranteed No Hiss (DVD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists WJMK 104.3 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 60s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE