Red Foley Country Music Hall of Fame
|You Save:||$2.01 (25% Off)|
Out of Print: Future availability is unknown
sku: USP 110084
- by Webb Pierce ~ The Best of 20th Century Masters / Millennium Collection ~ $8.34
- by Roy Acuff ~ The Essential 1936-1949 ~ $5.97 (Save 25%)
- by Flatt & Scruggs ~ Foggy Mountain Gospel (2-CD) ~ $15.49
- by Red Foley ~ Tennessee Saturday Night: 25 Greatest Hits ~ $11.12
Products with a similar style:
- Hank Thompson Greatest Hits, Volume 2 [Curb] (CD) ~ $10.25
- Released: June 1, 1999
- Originally Released: 1991
- Label: MCA Special Products
- 1.Hang Your Head In Shame
- 2.Old Shep
- 3.Tennessee Saturday Night
- 4.Tennessee Border
- 5.Careless Kisses
- 6.Just A Closer Walk With Thee
- 7.Chattanoogie Shoe Shine Boy
- 8.When God Dips His Love In My Heart
- 9.Don't Be Ashamed Of Your Age
- 10.(There'll Be) Peace In The Valley (For Me)
- 11.Alabama Jubilee
- 13.One By One
- 14.Deep Blues
- 15.As Far As I'm Concerned
- 16.Sugarfoot Rag
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Recorded between 1944 & 1953.
All tracks have been digitally remastered.
Throughout the 1940s, country music transformed itself from the rustic mountain music of Roy Acuff and the Carter Family to the more sophisticated, urbane sounds of western swing and early honky tonk. Straddling these two modern trends was Red Foley, a smooth-voiced but unmistakably Southern crooner whose records maintained a constant presence on country radio from 1946 to 1955. COUNTRY MUSIC HALL OF FAME collects 16 of Foley's best-known recordings from this era.
Foley's genial baritone lent itself well to a variety of styles, from boogie ("Chattanoogie Shoe Shine Boy") to gospel ("Just a Closer Walk With Thee") to novelties ("Don't Be Ashamed of Your Age," a duet with frequent partner Ernest Tubb) to Bob Wills-style swing ("Hang Your Head in Shame") to flat-out country ("Tennessee Border"). Best of all is "Old Shep," the extremely sentimental "boy-and-his-dog" song that Elvis Presley often proclaimed his all-time favorite number. Foley brings a high level of sophistication to each track: its not hard to imagine Jim Reeves, Marty Robbins, and Tennessee Ernie Ford going to school on these records. If you love the great music of country's past, grab this disc before it slips out of print.
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 12 ratings.
Based on 12 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Country Top Hits of the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s (4-CD)
$19.98 on SALE
Get Rhythm / Story Songs of Trains And Rivers (CD)
$2.98 on SALE