- Rated: R
- Run Time: 1 hours, 47 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: May 8, 2001
- Originally Released: 1977
- Label: MGM (Video & DVD)
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Letterbox - 1.85
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 1.85
- Dolby Digital Mono - English
- Dolby Digital Mono - French
- Dolby Digital Mono - Spanish
- Additional Release Material:
- Trailers: Original Theatrical Trailer
Performers, Cast and Crew:
New York Times - 11/19/1977
"...[Clayburgh is] charming....Vulgar in intelligent ways and almost always amusing in its perceptions..."
Michael Ritchie revisits the satirical territory of 1975's SMILE with this hysterical comedy about professional football, New Age lifestyles, and bizarre health remedies. Teammates and roommates Billy Clyde "B.C." Puckett (Burt Reynolds) and Marvin "Shake" Tiller (Kris Kristofferson) find their lives upended when they both begin to fall for the same woman, Barbara Jane "B.J." Bookman (Jill Clayburgh). Making matters even worse is the dangerous knowledge that B.J. just so happens to be their coach's daughter. Eventually, things get even weirder when Shake finds himself falling under the hypnotic spell of a wacky cult leader. All the while, the team is trying to win a game on the field, even if the players can't seem to keep their lives together when the pads are off.
Ritchie's sensitive approach to the potentially two-dimensional material is what makes SEMI-TOUGH such a rewarding viewing experience. This, coupled with the superb performances by his all-star cast (most notably Kristofferson and Reynolds), as well as the toned-down script by Walter Bernstein (adapted from Dan Jenkins's novel), adds even greater poignancy to the lighthearted proceedings.
SEMI-TOUGH is an easygoing satire about two football stars who contend for the same woman, who just happens to be the coach's daughter. The film contains numerous parodies of the self-improvement craze of the 1970s.
- Theatrical Release: November 18, 1977.
- Shot on location in Green Bay, Wisconsin; Dallas, Texas; and Miami, Florida.
- In 1980, SEMI-TOUGH was made into a short-lived TV series. David Hasselhoff played Kris Kristofferson's character, Shake Tiller, in the show.