- Rated: PG-13
- Run Time: 1 hours, 49 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: May 8, 2001
- Originally Released: 1996
- Label: MGM (Video & DVD)
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Anamorphic Widescreen - 2.35
- Aspect Ratio: Letterbox - 2.35
- Dolby Digital Mono - Spanish
- Dolby Digital Stereo - English
- Dolby Digital Stereo - French
- Additional Release Material:
- Trailers: Original Theatrical Trailer
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Entertainment Weekly - 04/12/1996
"...Earnest....A charming thing."
Variety - 03/25/1996
"...Engaging and affecting....Duvall is solid as ever..."
Los Angeles Times - 03/29/1996
"...A FAMILY THING tells a tale of risk and daring that is as engrossing as anything Indiana Jones might encounter..."
Chicago Sun-Times - 03/29/1996
"...It's a superior entertainment, warm-hearted and touching, and with some nice shadings in the performances..."
When a white Arkansas mechanic learns his mother was a black woman, and that he has a black half-brother, he travels to Chicago to discover more about his true family. At first taken aback by the news, the man and his newly-discovered sibling slowly open up to each other with the help of their wise, blind aunt. The script was co-written by Billy Bob Thornton, prior to his success with SLING BLADE.