- Extended Movie Version with Alternate Ending
- Commentary by Film Historian/Author Rudy Behlmer
- Documentaries Gene Tierney: A Shattered Portrait and Vincent Price: The Versatile Villain
- Deleted Scene
- Theatrical Trailer
- Subtitles in English and Spanish
- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 28 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Released: November 4, 2003
- Originally Released: 1944
- Label: 20th Century Fox
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Mono - English, Spanish
- Stereo - English
- Additional Release Material:
- Deleted Scenes
- Alternate Ending
- Trailers: Theatrical Trailer
- Audio Commentary:
- David Raskin - Composer & Janine Basinger - Wesleyan University Film Professor
- Rudy Behlmer - Film Historian
- GENE TIERNEY: A SHATTERED PORTRAIT
- VINCENT PRICE: THE VERSATILE VILLAIN
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Gene Tierney &
Lane Chandler &
Frank La Rue
Ring Lardner, Jr. &
Director of Photography:
Joseph La Shelle
Academy Awards 1944 -
Best Cinematography: Joseph LaShelle
Chicago Sun-Times - 01/20/2002
"...That LAURA continues to weave a spell -- and it does -- is a tribute to style over sanity....The music lends a haunted, nostalgic, regretful cast to everything it plays under..."
USA Today - 03/12/1993
...This all-timer made a standard of the title tune, launched co-star Clifton Webb's screen career....[and] it also gives Vincent Price and Judith Anderson meaty suspect roles..."
Entertainment Weekly - 03/18/2005
"[T]he whodunit still gleams like a pearl-handled pistol..."
Los Angeles Times - 04/03/2005
"[A] delectable romantic thriller..."
Sight and Sound - 04/01/2006
"Preminger's waspish masterpiece, which swings from high society noir to romantic mystery two thirds of the way through."
Total Film - 04/01/2012
5 stars out of 5 -- "[L]iterate and mannered in the best way....David Raksin's title song and score are sheer romantic swoon."
Description by OLDIES.com:
A definitive film noir classic, Laura tells the shocking story of a Park Avenue society beauty murdered in her apartment, which brings Detective Mark McPherson (Dana Andrews) to New York's most elegant neighborhood. As he tries to get inside the head of the victim, Laura Hunt (Gene Tierney), he also questions the men in her life - the acerbic critic Waldo Lydecker (Clifton Webb) and playboy fiance Shelby Carpenter (Vincent Price). Lulled by her stunning portrait, fine liquor and classical music, McPherson doesn't know he's in for a heart-stopping shock with the sudden appearance of a woman who seems to be Laura herself. Steeped in suspense, heightened reality and witty sophistication, Laura leads to a shocking climax.
Classic film about a detective who, while investigating the murder of a beautiful woman, falls in love with her likeness in a painting. But was the woman really murdered'
Film Noir |
Mistaken Identity |
- LAURA was added to the Library of Congress National Film Registry in 1999.
- Additional cast: Clyde Fillmore (Bullitt); Ralph Dunn (Fred Callahan); Lee Tung Foo (Servant); and Harold Schlickenmayer, Harry Strang and Lane Chandler (Detectives).