Curtis Mayfield The Best of Curtis Mayfield & The Impressions - 20th Century Masters / Millennium Collection
Only 4 copies left
|You Save:||$1.10 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: June 6, 2000
- Originally Released: 2000
- Label: MCA
- $1.29 on iTunes1.Gypsy Woman
- $1.29 on iTunes2.It's All Right
- $1.29 on iTunes3.I'm So Proud
- $1.29 on iTunes4.Keep On Pushing
- $0.99 on iTunes5.Amen
- $1.29 on iTunes6.People Get Ready
- $0.99 on iTunes7.Woman's Got Soul
- $1.29 on iTunes8.We're A Winner
- 9.Choice Of Colors
- 10.Freddie's Dead (Theme From "Superfly")
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Curtis Mayfield & The Impressions: Curtis Mayfield, Fred Cash, Sam Gooden (vocals).
Producers include: Curtis Mayfield.
Compilation producer: Andy McKaie.
Recorded between 1961 & 1972. Liner notes by Joseph F. Laredo.
Digitally remastered by Erick Labson (Universal Mastering Studio West, North Hollywood, California).
This is part of MCA's 20th Century Masters: The Millennium Collection series.
Liner Note Author: Joseph F. Laredo.
Photographer: Jason Pastori.
Unknown Contributor Roles: Richie Gallo; Gary Stewart; Rhonda Malmlund.
Motown may have been the chart-ruling R&B barometer of the '60s, but Chicago's Impressions also burned up the airwaves with 14 Top 30 pop hits between 1961 and 1969. Led by the multitalented Curtis Mayfield, (who sang, composed, produced, and played guitar), The Impressions were a trio characterized by the tight harmonizing of Fred Cash, Sam Gooden, and Mayfield that defines 20TH CENTURY MASTERS.
Mayfield's sophisticated musical arrangements are particularly effective on ballads like "I'm So Proud" and "Gospel," which point back to the group's gospel origins. The common thread running through all 19 of these tracks is a social consciousness that manifests itself in the civil rights anthem "Keep on Pushing" and the optimism for brotherhood that permeates "People Get Ready" and "Choice of Colors." The Impressions influenced both white rockers, such as Rod Stewart, and future reggae legends Bob Marley, Bunny Wailer, and Peter Tosh when they were still the Wailers. Wrapping up these Impressions smashes are Mayfield's only two Top 10 solo hits, the wailing "Freddie's Dead" and the title track from the blaxploitation touchstone film SUPERFLY.
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 10 ratings.
Based on 10 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Someone Else's Arms / I Did It / I Call It Trouble (CD)
$12.07 Super Savings
The Right Tracks: The Complete OKeh Recordings 1963-1966 (CD)(3)
$12.35 Super Savings
The Best of 20th Century Masters / Millennium Collection (CD)(15)
$6.06 Super Savings
WCBS FM101.1 - Motown, Soul & Great Rock 'N Roll: Soul (CD)(2)
$2.98 on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Top Hits of the 70s - Absolute Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Absolute Hits - Top Hits of the 60s: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Ultimate Rock & Roll Time Capsule, Volume 2 - Disc 1 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Top Hits of the 80s: Groovin' Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists WJMK 104.3 - Summer Fun (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE