Jerry Jeff Walker The Best of Jerry Jeff Walker - 20th Century Masters / Millennium Collection
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$8.84 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$1.11 (11% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by Jerry Jeff Walker ~ Best of the Vanguard Years ~ $16.18
- by David Allan Coe ~ The Essential David Allan Coe ~ $6.30
- by Guy Clark ~ The Essential Guy Clark ~ $5.97 (Save 25%)
- by Jerry Jeff Walker ~ Ultimate Collection ~ $8.34
- by Jerry Jeff Walker ~ Viva Terlingua (Live) ~ $9.72
Products with a similar style:
- John Conlee Rose Colored Glasses (CD) ~ $5.97
- Released: September 10, 2002
- Originally Released: 2002
- Label: MCA Nashville
Rolling Stone - 9/19/02, p.1103 stars out of 5 - "A lesser light of the outlaw-country movement, Walker's main claim to fame is writing 'Mr Bojangles'..."
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Producer: Michael Brovsky.
Compilation producer: Mike Ragogna.
Includes liner notes by Robyn Flans.
All tracks have been digitally remastered.
This is part of MCA Records "20th Century Masters The Millenium Collection" series.
Liner Note Author: Robyn Flans.
Unforgivably, it does not say this anywhere on the CD packaging, but this is a compilation of material from Walker's MCA releases of the early-to-late '70s. This was one of his stronger periods as both a commercial and artistic presence, so what's the harm in putting release dates on the track listings? At any rate, it's a fair run through a dozen tracks from half a dozen albums, at a time when Walker was among the foremost singer/songwriters fusing country, rock, Americana, and a little pop. Focusing on story-songs with the somewhat humorous yet world-weary tone common to numerous Texas-based singer/songwriters of this ilk, this includes some of Walker's better works, like "Sangria Wine," "Pissin' in the Wind," and "Hairy Ass Hillbillies." Also it reflects the role he took as an interpretive artist to popularize some songs by Guy Clark ("L.A. Freeway," "Desperadoes Waiting for a Train"), Ray Wylie Hubbard ("Up Against the Wall, Redneck Mother"), and Billy Joe Shaver ("Old Five and Dimers Like Me"). Note that the version of "Mr. Bojangles" here is not Walker's original recording, but a live one from the A Man Must Carry On album. ~ Richie Unterberger
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 2 ratings.
Based on 2 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Country Top Hits of the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s (4-CD)
$19.98 on SALE
Get Rhythm / Story Songs of Trains And Rivers (CD)
$2.98 on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock (10-CD Set) ~ $19.98 on SALE
- Various Artists KFRC 99.7FM - Motown, Soul & Rock 'N Roll: Rock 'N Roll (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Summer Hits: 47-Song Collection (3-CD) ~ $8.98 on SALE
- Various Artists WJMK 104.3 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 60s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE