Donnie Iris The Best of Donnie Iris - 20th Century Masters / Millennium Collection
LOW STOCK: Only 3 copies left
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$4.48 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$1.50 (25% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: September 18, 2001
- Originally Released: 2001
- Label: MCA
- $1.29 on iTunes1.Ah! Leah!
- $0.99 on iTunes2.I Can't Hear You
- $0.99 on iTunes3.Agnes
- $0.99 on iTunes4.Sweet Merilee
- $1.29 on iTunes5.Love Is Like A Rock
- $0.99 on iTunes6.That's The Way Love Ought To Be
- $0.99 on iTunes7.My Girl
- $0.99 on iTunes8.Tough World
- $0.99 on iTunes9.This Time It Must Be Love
- $0.99 on iTunes10.Do You Compute?
- $0.99 on iTunes11.She's So European
- $0.99 on iTunes12.The Rapper
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel includes: Donnie Iris (vocals, guitar); Mark Avsec.
Producer: Mark Avsec.
Compilation producer: Mike Ragogna.
Includes liner notes by Bill DeYoung.
All tracks have been digitally remastered.
This is part of MCA's 20th Century Masters: The Millennium Collection series.
Liner Note Author: Bill DeYoung.
Photographers: Alan Messer; Marcia Resnick; Georgina Karvellas.
There are a lot of power poppers that traditionalist power pop fans don't like to give credit to. These are musicians that could craft a song and carve out a hook, but dressed these tunes in very commercial productions -- and, even though these came at the height of power pop, that commercial production made these artists seem lesser than the dogged new wave of such artists as Tommy Keane or even Cheap Trick. In retrospect, the artists that had shiny productions and big, unstoppable hooks were every bit as power pop as their scruffier cousins, and Donnie Iris is one of them. His records often have the trappings of album rock in the early '80s, but the essence of his work is that of a geeky pop fan, turning out anthemic, melodic pop tunes, pumping them up with guitars filtered through Marshall amps. Sometimes, the end result was a little silly -- the pounding "Love Is Like a Rock" is one of the goofiest songs ever recorded -- but when it clicked, like on "Ah! Leah!," it clicked perfectly, illustrating that the gap between true power popsters and the supposed charlatans was simply a matter of style. And 20th Century Masters does indeed capture Iris at his best, hitting all of his big, catchy pop tunes on one 12-track collection. Yeah, he does succumb to the sound of the times -- which is endearing at times, especially when the production is as era-specific as that on "That's the Way Love Ought to Be" (it helps that the song works, too, of course) -- but the best songs here will be irresistible to anyone with a serious power pop jones and no pop snobbery. ~ Stephen Thomas Erlewine
Head EastThe Best of 20th Century Masters / Millennium Collection
$8.34 Super Savings
The TubesThe Best of 20th Century Masters / Millennium Collection
$5.39 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 24 ratings.
Based on 24 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Hunting High and Low [Bonus CD] [Bonus Tracks] (2-CD)
$25.14 Super Savings
Absolute Hits - Top Hits of the 60s: 20 Original Hits (CD) TOP 10 Bestseller
99¢ on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists WDAS 105.3FM - Classic Soul Hits, Volume 1 (2-CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Skeeter Davis Blueberry Hill / The End of The World (CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Vee-Jay: Very Best of Jazz, Volume 1 (CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- The Kac-Ties The Very Best of The Kac-Ties (CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- The Impressions Singles Collection (2-CD) ~ $6.98 on SALE