Angels with Dirty Faces
Warner Bros. DVD Clearance Sale (series)
|You Save:||$0.99 (5% Off)|
- Leonard Maltin Hosts Warner Night at the Movies 1938 with Newsreel, Musical Short Out Where the Stars Begin, cartoon Porky and Daffy and Theatrical Trailers
- New Featurette Angels with Dirty Faces: Whaddya Hear? Whaddya Say
- Commentary by Film Historian Dana Polan
- Audio-Only Bonus: Radio Production with Film's 2 Stars
- Languages: English and French
- Subtitles in English, French and Spanish
- Rated: Not Rated
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 1 hours, 37 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Released: January 25, 2005
- Originally Released: 1938
- Label: Warner Home Video
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Mono 1.0 English
- Mono 1.0 French
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||James Cagney, Pat O'Brien, Humphrey Bogart & Dead End Kids|
|Performer:||George Bancroft, Ann Sheridan, Edward Pawley, Dead End Kids & Humphrey Bogart|
|Directed by||Michael Curtiz|
|Edited by||Owen Marks|
|Written by||Warren Duff & John Wexley|
|Composition by||Max Steiner|
|Cinematography by||Sol Polito|
|Story by||Roland Brown|
|Produced by||Samuel Bischoff|
"...[Cagney is] lovably cocky....A life lesson..." -- Rating: A-
"ANGELS was Cagney's gold-standard reference point."
"ANGELS finds Cagney absolutely riveting..."
Description by OLDIES.com:
Curtiz's taut, suspenseful, yet suprisingly sensitive handling of the gritty urban morality play turned ANGELS WITH DIRTY FACES into the first unqualified masterpiece of his stunningly prolific career. The archetypal gangster thriller, brimming with the magnetism and explosive dramatic energy supplied by the three male leads, was nominated for three Academy Award Nominations: Best Director, Best Actor (Cagney), and Best Original Story.
Description by Warner Home Video:
- Film marks second pairing of James Cagney and Pat O'Brien since Cagney's leaving Warner Bros.
- The actors playing the street children were known as "The Dead End Kids" and were featured in a number of studio productions.
- Jo Graham is credited as the dialogue director.
- Director Michael Curtiz received two Academy Award nominations for Best Director in 1938, one for "Angels with Dirty Faces," the other for "Four Daughters."
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 54 ratings.
IF THERE WAS ONE MOVIE THAT SYMBOLIZED HOW GREAT OF AN ACTOR CAGNEY WAS, THIS IS THE MOVIE! ROCKY SULLIVAN HAS BEEN A PART OF MY LIFE SINCE I WAS TEN YEARS OLD! WHAT DA YA HEAR +WHAT DA YA SAY -HEARING THOSE WORDS STILL TODAY ARE UNFORGETTABLE! THE MAIN REASON WHY CAGNEY IS MY ALLTIME FAVORITE ACTOR IS THAT HE CAN TAKE ANY ROLE AND MAKE IT HIS OWN! I KNOW BOYS TOWN WON THE OSCAR FOR BEST FILM IN 1938 BUT TO ME ANGELS WITH DIRTY FACES SHOULD OF WON! NOT EVERYBODY CAN BE FATHER FLANIGAN,BUT WE ALL HAVE A LITTLE OF ROCKY SULLIVAN IN ALL OF US!
before my father passed away 3years ago,he tried everywhere to get this movie for me and could not find it.
i first saw this film when i was twelve and since then it has been my all time favourite.
i still have not managed to buy it but will be getting round to it soon now that i know where to get it.
but for all you people who have not seen it ,then i would suggest you go get it,(trust me it will be money well spent).
jimmy plays in my oppinion his greatest role of all time,and the ending is something that must be seen to know what people are talking about,
© 2016 OLDIES.com and its affiliates and partner companies. All rights reserved.