The Public Enemy
|You Save:||$11.99 (60% Off)|
- Leonard Maltin Hosts Warner Night at the Movies 1931 with Newsreel, Comedy Short The Eyes Have It, cartoon Smile, Darn Ya, Smile and Theatrical Trailers
- New Featurette Beer and Blood: Enemies of the Public
- Commentary by Film Historian Robert Sklar
- Subtitles in English, French and Spanish
- Rated: Unrated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 22 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Released: January 25, 2005
- Originally Released: 1931
- Label: Warner Home Video
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Mono 1.0 English
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||James Cagney & Jean Harlow|
|Performer:||Eddie Woods, Beryl Mercer, Joan Blondell, Donald Cook, Mae Clarke & Leslie Fenton|
|Directed by||William A. Wellman|
|Edited by||Ed McCormick|
|Screenwriting by||Kubec Glasmon & John Bright|
|Written by||Kubec Glasmon|
|Composition by||David Mendoza|
|Cinematography by||Devereaux Jennings|
|Produced by||Darryl F. Zanuck|
|Director of Photography:||Devereaux Jennings|
Memorable Quotes and Dialog:
"...Cagney is magnificent, totally dominating the screen..." -- 4 out of 5 stars
"[Cagney] became a sensation with his searing performance as the streetwise gangster Tom Powers in this William Wellman classic."
Description by OLDIES.com:
Description by Warner Home Video:
- PUBLIC ENEMY was added to the Library of Congress National Film Registry in 1998.
- This is the famed gangster tale in which Cagney pushes a grapefruit into Mae Clark's face.
- In the second show of THE SOPRANOS third season, Tony Soprano watched THE PUBLIC ENEMY, taken with the relationship between the gangster and his mother.
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 67 ratings.
Re my review of Little Ceasar - these very highly recommended prints are in excellent condition; the extra attractions on the DVD are fabulous - a 1931 night at the movies experienced through a newsreel, comedy short, trailers and cartoon, before going into the film itself - and it's heartily advised to watch the commentary version of the main feature first when so familiar with this most famous of the Depression-era gangster film cycle, The Public Enemy. It would be wonderful if this fine treatment of commentary, documentary, and Leonard Maltin's hosting could be applied to a vault of classic genre films of the era- I know Leonard Maltin hosted a Pre-Code Hollywood series on VHS some ten years ago, but we've only been able to locate a few of those films.
Top ranking DVD:
- 3 Pack Westerns: The Way West / Escort West / Chato's Land (DVD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Redneck Zombies (20th Anniversary Edition) (DVD + CD Soundtrack) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Public Enemies: The Golden Age of the Gangster Film (DVD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- For Love of Liberty: The Story of America's Black Patriots (DVD) ~ $4.98 on SALE
- Scarlett - Complete Mini-Series (DVD) ~ $8.98 on SALE
© 2017 OLDIES.com and its affiliates and partner companies. All rights reserved.