The Public Enemy
Warner Bros. DVD Clearance Sale (series)
|You Save:||$11.99 (60% Off)|
- Leonard Maltin Hosts Warner Night at the Movies 1931 with Newsreel, Comedy Short The Eyes Have It, cartoon Smile, Darn Ya, Smile and Theatrical Trailers
- New Featurette Beer and Blood: Enemies of the Public
- Commentary by Film Historian Robert Sklar
- Subtitles in English, French and Spanish
- Rated: Unrated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 22 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Released: January 25, 2005
- Originally Released: 1931
- Label: Warner Home Video
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Mono 1.0 English
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||James Cagney & Jean Harlow|
|Performer:||Eddie Woods, Beryl Mercer, Joan Blondell, Donald Cook, Mae Clarke & Leslie Fenton|
|Directed by||William A. Wellman|
|Edited by||Ed McCormick|
|Screenwriting by||Kubec Glasmon & John Bright|
|Written by||Kubec Glasmon|
|Composition by||David Mendoza|
|Cinematography by||Devereaux Jennings|
|Produced by||Darryl F. Zanuck|
|Director of Photography:||Devereaux Jennings|
Memorable Quotes and Dialog:
"...Cagney is magnificent, totally dominating the screen..." -- 4 out of 5 stars
"[Cagney] became a sensation with his searing performance as the streetwise gangster Tom Powers in this William Wellman classic."
Description by OLDIES.com:
Description by Warner Home Video:
- PUBLIC ENEMY was added to the Library of Congress National Film Registry in 1998.
- This is the famed gangster tale in which Cagney pushes a grapefruit into Mae Clark's face.
- In the second show of THE SOPRANOS third season, Tony Soprano watched THE PUBLIC ENEMY, taken with the relationship between the gangster and his mother.
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 67 ratings.
Re my review of Little Ceasar - these very highly recommended prints are in excellent condition; the extra attractions on the DVD are fabulous - a 1931 night at the movies experienced through a newsreel, comedy short, trailers and cartoon, before going into the film itself - and it's heartily advised to watch the commentary version of the main feature first when so familiar with this most famous of the Depression-era gangster film cycle, The Public Enemy. It would be wonderful if this fine treatment of commentary, documentary, and Leonard Maltin's hosting could be applied to a vault of classic genre films of the era- I know Leonard Maltin hosted a Pre-Code Hollywood series on VHS some ten years ago, but we've only been able to locate a few of those films.
Top ranking titles in the Action & Adventure genre:
- Sons of Kong: 10 Full-Length Movies on 3-DVDs (3D Pop-Up Case) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Burt Reynolds Comedy Triple Feature: Gator / Breaking In / Fuzz (2-DVD) ~ $1.58 on SALE
- 3 Pack Action: The Delta Force / Delta Force 2 / Code of Silence (DVD) ~ $2.38 on SALE
- Bigfoot (Blu-ray) ~ 79¢ on SALE
- Shark Week (Blu-ray) ~ 78¢ on SALE
Top ranking DVD:
- They Made Me a Criminal / Lady Gangster (DVD) ~ 79¢ on SALE
- Blood of Ghastly Horror (Deluxe Collector's Edition) (DVD) ~ $1.58 on SALE
- Easy Money (DVD) ~ $3.98 on SALE
- Redneck Zombies (20th Anniversary Edition) (DVD + CD Soundtrack) ~ $1.58 on SALE
- Batman (1943) / Batman and Robin (1949) (Complete 1940s Movie Serials Collection) (2-DVD) ~ $5.58 on SALE
© 2016 OLDIES.com and its affiliates and partner companies. All rights reserved.