Sammy Davis Jr. The Best of Sammy Davis, Jr. - 20th Century Masters / Millennium Collection
Only 8 copies left
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$4.31 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$1.68 (28% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by The Andrews Sisters ~ The Best of 20th Century Masters / Millennium Collection ~ $4.31
- by Sammy Davis Jr. ~ The Best of Best of Sammy Davis Jr. and the Mike Curb Congregation ~ $10.25
- by Sammy Davis Jr. ~ The Definitive Collection ~ $7.79
- by Sammy Davis Jr. ~ Greatest Songs ~ $7.18
Products with a similar style:
- Dean Martin All Time Greatest Hits (CD) ~ $6.74
- Released: September 17, 2002
- Originally Released: 2002
- Label: Polydor / Umgd
- $1.29 on iTunes1.The Candy Man
- $0.99 on iTunes2.I'll Begin Again
- $0.99 on iTunes3.Have A Little Talk With Myself
- $0.99 on iTunes4.John Shaft
- $0.99 on iTunes5.The People Tree
- $1.29 on iTunes6.Mr. Bojangles
- $0.99 on iTunes7.(I'd Be) A Legend In My Time
- $0.99 on iTunes8.I'm Not Anyone
- $0.99 on iTunes9.Porgy & Bess Medley
- $0.99 on iTunes10.For Once In My Life
- $0.99 on iTunes11.The Birth Of The Blues / I've Gotta Be Me
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Producers include: Mike Curb, Don Costa, Perry Botkin Jr., Michael Viner, Jimmy Bowen.
Compilation producer: Harry Weinger.
Includes liner notes by Tom Terrel.
All tracks have been digitally remastered.
Liner Note Author: Art Fein.
Photographers: Retna; David Redfern.
Arrangers: Don Costa; Onzie Horne; Isaac Hayes.
Nearly all of the Universal Music Group's releases under its discount-priced reissue series 20th Century Masters - The Millennium Collection are given the generic title "The Best of...," including this one on Sammy Davis, Jr. Although several of Davis' many label affiliations are now to be found in the Universal vaults, including Decca and Motown, this collection selects only from Davis' recordings for the MGM Records label in 1972 and 1973. As it happens, that brief tenure marked a commercial comeback on records for him, including his biggest single hit, the gold-selling, chart-topping "The Candy Man." But the early '70s was a confusing time for pre-rock pop singers like Davis, and that confusion is reflected in the diversity of styles found here. Davis essays familiar-sounding material like "I'll Begin Again" and "I'm Not Anyone," the sort of self-dramatizing ballads at which he excels. But there are also country-styled numbers ("Have a Little Talk with Myself," "[I'd Be] A Legend in My Time"), the folk-pop standard "Mr. Bojangles" (which Davis turned into something of a signature song), and a version of Isaac Hayes' "Theme from Shaft" retitled "John Shaft" and produced by Hayes himself. A live segment at the end including a "Porgy & Bess Medley" gives a sense of Davis' impressive on-stage skills. Although it was often atypical stylistically, the MGM period was an interesting one in Davis' long career, and fans will welcome the CD reissue of some of these tracks. ~ William Ruhlmann
The Rat Pack - Live from Las Vegas: A Tribute (DVD)(10)
$3.98 on SALE
Little Moon & Jud McGraw (1975) / Against a Crooked Sky... (DVD)(2)
The Courtship of Eddie's Father - Complete 3rd Season... (DVD-R)(2)
$25.59 on SALE
The CBS Television Specials: Live at Carnegie Hall/ Live at... (CD)(12)
$14.53 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 5 ratings.
Based on 5 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
And That Reminds Me / A Date With Della Reese (CD)(6)
$2.98 on SALE