Stephen Bishop The Best of Stephen Bishop - 20th Century Masters / Millennium Collection
Only 4 copies left
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$8.34 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$3.64 (30% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: November 12, 2002
- Originally Released: 2002
- Label: MCA
- $1.29 on iTunes1.On And On
- $0.99 on iTunes2.Never Letting Go
- $1.29 on iTunes3.Save It For A Rainy Day
- $0.99 on iTunes4.Madge
- $0.99 on iTunes5.One More Night
- $0.99 on iTunes6.Little Italy
- $0.99 on iTunes7.Looking For The Right One
- $0.99 on iTunes8.Only The Heart Within You
- $0.99 on iTunes9.Everybody Needs Love
- $0.99 on iTunes10.Animal House
- $1.29 on iTunes11.It Might Be You
- $0.99 on iTunes12.Separate Lives
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel includes: Stephen Bishop (vocals, guitar); Dave Grusin (arranger); Eric Clapton (electric guitar); Chaka Khan (background vocals).
Producers include: Henry Lewy, Stephen Bishop, Dave Grusin, Kenny Vance, Dee Robb.
Compilation producers: Mike Ragogna, Stephen Bishop.
Recorded between 1976 & 1994. Includes liner notes by Robyn Flans.
All tracks have been digitally remastered.
This is part MCA Records "20th Century Masters: The Millenium Collection" series.
Personnel: Chaka Khan (background vocals).
Audio Mixer: Phil Ramone.
Liner Note Author: Robyn Flans.
Photographers: Ebet Roberts; Henry Diltz.
Arranger: Dave Grusin.
Folk-pop singer/songwriter Stephen Bishop has bounced around from one record label to another, but he had his greatest success on the ABC label in the mid-'70s when he scored the Top 40 pop hits "Save It for a Rainy Day" and "On and On." In fact, his two ABC LPs, Careless (1977) and the gold-certified Bish (1978), are his only ones to sell well enough to make the charts. ABC was absorbed into MCA, which is now part of Universal, the major label responsible for the 20th Century Masters/The Millennium Collection series of discount-priced best-of compilations, and the Bishop number draws heavily from those two albums, which provide nine of the 12 tracks. Unusually for the series, however, the compilers have licensed a track from outside Universal, Bishop's chart-topping adult contemporary hit "It Might Be You," the theme from the 1983 movie Tootsie, which is controlled by Warner Brothers Records. With that inclusion, all of Bishop's Top 40 pop hits are featured, although a handful of other adult contemporary hits, including "Unfaithfully Yours (One Love)" and "Walking on Air," are missing. Still, this is the Bishop most listeners remember, with his wispy tenor, shading into a falsetto, singing songs of romantic disappointment that boast strong hooks. Bishop's theme for National Lampoon's Animal House, sung in falsetto and in a 1950s doo wop style, is uncharacteristic but enjoyable, while his own version of his song "Separate Lives," a hit for Phil Collins and Marilyn Martin, is just about unrecognizable in its voice-and-acoustic-guitar arrangement, but sensitively performed. This is a good album for anyone who heard "On and On" on the radio, liked it, and wondered if its singer had more like it. He does. ~ William Ruhlmann
Atlanta Rhythm SectionThe Best of 20th Century Masters / Millennium Collection
$4.91 Super Savings
Pablo CruiseThe Best of 20th Century Masters / Millennium Collection
$8.34 Super Savings
Matthew WilderI Don't Speak The Language / Bouncin' Off The Walls
$10.98 on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 12 ratings.
Based on 12 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking CD:
- The Del Vikings 1956 Audition Tapes (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Ike & Tina Turner Golden Classics (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Skeeter Davis Blueberry Hill / The End of The World (CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Various Artists WDAS 105.3FM - Classic Soul Hits, Volume 1 (2-CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Duke Ellington Duke's Mixture / At the Bal Masque (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE