Gato Barbieri The Best of Gato Barbieri - 20th Century Masters / Millennium Collection
Only 6 copies left
|CYBER WEEK SALE:||$3.99 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$2 (33% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: August 24, 2004
- Originally Released: 2004
- Label: A&M
- 1.Ngiculela-Es Una Historia-I Am Singing
- 2.Europa (Earth's Cry, Heaven's Smile)
- 4.I Want You
- 7.She Is Michelle
- 8.Behind The Rain
- 10.Latin Lady
Personnel: Gato Barbieri (tenor saxophone); Gato Barbieri (vocals, saxophone); Melvin Watson, Greg Poree, Joe Caro, Lee Ritenour , Carlos Santana (guitar); Lew Soloff, Marvin Stamm (trumpet, flugelhorn); Tom "Bones" Malone, Peter Gordon , John Gale (French horn); David Earl Taylor, Wayne Andre, Paul Faulise (trombone); John Barnes, Eddy Martinez (keyboards); Ian Underwood (synthesizer); Gary King (bass guitar); Bernard Perdie, Leon "Ndugu" Chancler, Steve Gadd (drums); Bill Summers (congas, percussion); Jos‚ Chepit¢ Areas (timbales); Armando Peraza, Angel "Cachete" Maldonado (percussion); David Spinozza, Eric Gale , Joe Beck (guitar); Jon Faddis (trumpet, flugelhorn); Don Grolnick (piano, keyboards, synthesizer); Lenny White (drums); Mtume, Paulinho Da Costa, Ralph MacDonald (percussion).
Liner Note Author: A. Scott Galloway.
Recording information: A&M Recording Studios, Hollywood, CA (05/1978); A&R Studios, New York, NY (05/1978); Media Sound, NY (05/1978); The Automatt, San Francisco, CA (05/1978).
Photographers: Bill King ; Francesco Scavullo; Mark Hanauer.
Arrangers: Gato Barbieri; Herb Alpert; Jay Chattaway.
Argentinean saxophonist and songwriter Gato Barbieri has led a long, varied career. He is well known for his avant-garde jazz, and, conversely, for his lighter, pop style. This best-of collection highlights Barbieri's funkier side, culling tracks from albums made in the mid-to-late 1970s.
"Poinciana (Song of the Tree)" is one of this disc's high points. Combining a disco groove with rich orchestrations (including sweeping harp glissandos), this tune is a superb period dance track. Stevie Wonder's "Ngiculela-Es Una Historia (I Am Singing)" is similar, but the groove on this song is more akin to a Brazilian samba. Most of these tracks are celebratory, as best exemplified by "Fiesta." On this piece, Barbieri adds some resplendent keyboard washes into the mix, and then spices things up further by adding punchy brass figures. Throughout the album, Barbieri's tenor sax playing is brimming with energy, and his tone is typically rough-hewn and powerful. Highly arranged and intensely rhythmic, this is fiery, romantic, sensual music.
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 5 ratings.
Based on 5 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
The Best of the 1910 Fruitgum Company: Simon Says (CD)
Jazz Instrument: Latin Music Categories:
- Claudia Acuna Luna (CD) ~ $19.60 CYBER WEEK
- Afro Cuban Jazz Project Descarga Uno (CD) ~ $21.44 CYBER WEEK
- Afro Cuban Jazz Project A Puero Padre: Tributo a Emiliano Salvador (CD) ~ $5.39 CYBER WEEK
- Cyrille Aimée It's a Good Day (CD) ~ $16.18 CYBER WEEK
- Monty Alexander Impressions in Blue (CD) ~ $21.26 CYBER WEEK
Top ranking titles in the Jazz genre:
- Eddie Harris Versatile Eddie Harris / Sings The Blues (2-CD) ~ 99¢ CYBER WEEK
- Mose Allison ...Hello There, Universe (CD) ~ 99¢ CYBER WEEK
- Herbie Mann Roar of The Greasepaint / Today (CD) ~ 99¢ CYBER WEEK
- Herbie Hancock Possibilities (DVD + Music CD) ~ 59¢ CYBER WEEK
- The Young-Holt Unlimited / Slide Hampton Oh Girl / Somethin' Sanctified (CD) ~ 99¢ CYBER WEEK