18 October 1961, New Orleans, Louisiana, USA. Marsalis took up the trumpet at the age of six, encouraged by his father, Ellis Marsalis, a pianist, composer and teacher. His brothers, Jason Marsalis, Delfeayo Marsalis and Branford Marsalis are also musicians. Before entering his teenage years he was already studying formally, but had simultaneously developed an interest in jazz. The range of his playing included performing with a New Orleans marching band led by Danny Barker, and playing trumpet concertos with the New Orleans Philharmonic Orchestra. Marsalis later extended his studies at two of the USAs most prestigious musical education establishments, Berkshire Music Center at Tanglewood and the Juilliard School of Music in New York City.
By the age of 19, Marsalis was already a virtuoso trumpeter, a voracious student of jazz music, history and culture, and clearly destined for great things. It was then that he joined Art Blakeys...
- Wynton Marsalis Blues
- Wynton Marsalis Classical
- Wynton Marsalis Country & Bluegrass
- Wynton Marsalis Documentaries
- Wynton Marsalis Holiday & Seasonal Movies
- Wynton Marsalis Holiday & Seasonal
- Wynton Marsalis Jazz
- Wynton Marsalis Kids & Family Movies
- Wynton Marsalis Music & Radio Books
- Wynton Marsalis Soundtrack
- Wynton Marsalis Sports & Recreation Movies