Brown's Ferry Four
|Genres:||Country & Bluegrass|
|Tags:||bluegrass country gospel ohio hillbilly cincinnati|
|Decades:||1950s 1960s 1990s 2000s|
The original group was founded at WLW Cincinnati in June 1943, and went on to achieve legendary status as one of the finest quartets to have recorded country gospel music. The founding members, all active performers and following other careers as well as singing with the group, were Grandpa Jones, Merle Travis and the Delmore Brothers (Alton and Rabon). They took their name from the Delmores hit song of the time, Browns Ferry Blues. They commenced a regular half-hour daily spot, with Alton singing lead, Rabon tenor, Jones baritone and Travis bass, and their fine harmonies quickly established them with the stations listeners. Unfortunately, military service for Travis, Jones and Alton Delmore saw the break-up of the original four. The station kept the name and the programme, entering the early 50s with other singers. In March 1946, the four original members had resumed their careers but with Travis in California, the Delmores in Memphis...